Kiln-Dried Logs: The Superior Choice for Your Fireplace
When it comes to fuelling your fireplace, kiln-dried stand out as the undisputed champions, offering a host of advantages that give yo the perfect fireplace experience. But what exactly sets apart logs that are kiln-dried, and why are they worth the investment? Let’s uncover their unique qualities and benefits.
What are Kiln-Dried Logs?
These are simply logs that have undergone an accelerated drying process in a controlled environment called a kiln. Unlike seasoned logs, which can take months or even years to air dry, kiln-dried logs are ready to burn in a matter of days. This rapid drying process results in logs with a significantly lower moisture content. We guarantee a maximum of 20% moisture but are usually well below this level.
The Kiln Drying Process
The kiln drying process is a carefully controlled operation that involves stacking pre-cut logs into metal cages and placing them inside a large commercial kiln. The kiln then generates heat and airflow, gradually removing moisture from the logs. The exact temperature and duration of the drying process vary depending on the type of wood being dried.
Benefits of Kiln-Dried Logs
These hold a range of benefits over seasoned logs or green wood. You should make these your preferred choice for your fireplace because:
- Ready to Burn: Kiln-dried logs are ready to use immediately, eliminating the need for further seasoning or drying.
- Cleaner Burning: With their low moisture content, they produce minimal smoke and soot, ensuring a cleaner and more pleasant burning experience.
- Higher Heat Output: they burn hotter and more efficiently, releasing more heat energy per log.
- Reduced Creosote Build Up: Creosote, a by-product of incomplete combustion, can accumulate in chimneys and pose a fire hazard. Due to the kiln drying process, they have cleaner burning properties, minimising creosote build up, enhancing safety and reducing the need for chimney cleaning.
- Environmentally Friendly: they are considered a more environmentally friendly option compared to air-dried logs. The accelerated drying process reduces the risk of mould and insect infestation, minimising the use of pesticides and preservatives. All of the logs we use are a by product of our harvesting and sawmill team.
What are the downsides?
While there are many advantages, there are a few potential downsides to consider:
- Cost: Kiln-dried are generally more expensive than seasoned logs due to the energy and labour involved in the drying process.
- Availability: these may not be as readily available as seasoned logs in some areas.
Are Kiln-Dried Logs Worth It?
The decision of whether or not to invest in green, seasoned, or kiln-dried ultimately depends on your individual needs and preferences. If you prioritise convenience, clean burning, and high heat output, then they are undoubtedly worth the extra cost. However, if you’re on a tight budget or don’t mind putting in the extra effort to season your own logs, then seasoned logs may be a more suitable option.
What’s the final verdict?
Kiln-dried logs represent the pinnacle of fireplace fuel, offering a superior burning experience that is both clean and efficient. Their ease of use, cleaner burning, higher heat output, and environmental benefits make them a compelling choice for those seeking to elevate their fireplace moments. While the initial cost may be higher than seasoned logs, the long-term advantages make them a worthwhile investment for your fireplace.
If you want to order some of our logs, please check out our shop here.